People love coffee. Also, Coffee is one of the most popular beverages in the world. What about if we start drinking more sustainable coffee, like bird-friendly coffee?
Today, my guest is Adelyn Hanchette, who works in the Bird-Friendly Coffee Program at Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center. She explains to us all about this fascinating coffee.
Bird-Friendly certified organic coffees grow under the biodiverse shade that provides critical habitat for migratory songbirds and other wildlife, sequesters carbon, and fights climate change.
Bird Friendly Coffee By the Numbers
- Nearly 37,000 acres (14,932 hectares) of Bird Friendly habitat
- Bird Friendly coffee farms in 11 countries
- More than 5,100 participating coffee growers
- More than 34 million pounds of coffee
Three-quarters of the world’s coffee farms destroy forest habitats to grow coffee in the sun and often use harmful pesticides and fertilizers that poison the environment. Source: Smithsonian
In this episode you will learn :
- What is sustainable coffee?
- What is bird-friendly coffee?
- What’s the difference between bird-friendly coffee vs. regular coffee?
- What are the ecological benefits of Bird Friendly coffee?
I really enjoyed this conversation !
Enjoy your coffee and protect the birds !
For more information visit : www.nationalzoo.si.edu
If you want to know what birds are supported by coffee farms here is the list: Birds Supported by Coffee Farms.
Image : Pixabay
Enjoy the natural sounds of The Original of Activist Planet